Sunday 1 May 2011

Springbank Road Race 2011 - Ontario Cup #2


Springbank Park Road Race 2011 - 2nd Master 3

Waking up at 5:00AM Sunday morning and checking the weather online I was pleasantly surprised that the rain was forecasted to hold off until the afternoon and there was to be a morning high of 13 degrees.  No sooner was I packing up the car did the rain start to fall.  Argh, I was not in the mood for rain today!  The illness that has bestowed me has been getting worse rather than better.  Sore throat, hacking non productive cough; I did not want bronchitis to set it.  It is what it is however and I set off for the annual Springbank Park Road Race in London, Ontario.
Springbank Park Road Race has been one of my all time favourite races in Ontario.  As a junior back in the late ‘80s I finished 2nd and 5th and as a first year Senior/Elite in ‘91, I won the Senior 2 category.  I gave up cycling that following year.  The race is held within the park on a rather technical course that can increase the nerves of many as there’s an off camber turn after the start/finish line, the road narrows on the back straight, a 6 inch curve surrounds most of the circuit and we are treated with a chicane within the last 600 meters of the 2.2km circuit.  A circuit you definitely have to be prepared to ride hard and aggressively.  I wanted to do well today but my health may have had the last say.
Again as the last 3 races, there was not a lot of time to prepare.  Registration opened at 7:30am and race was to begin at 8:30am.  By 8:00am I was dressed and jumped on the bike and rollers for a quick 15 minute warm-up.  I got an optimum spot at the front/right on the start line, was calm, relaxed and had good sensations for this mixed Senior 4/Master 3 race.
My start was exceptional as I did not have any difficulty snapping into my pedals.  I am notorious for fumbling with my start but today it went perfectly.  Racing towards the first off camber left turn I position myself behind two Lapdog team mates.  I hear a crash from behind and think to myself this is going to become an interesting race!  All I was initially concerned about was being towards the front to get a good look at the course on this first lap.  After all, it has been 19 years since I raced on the course and there was apparently some changes made with the addition of the chicane.  Approaching the end of the first lap, the one cyclist who had crashed was released from the pit area having served his free lap for his mechanical/mishap.  Turning and descending into the off camber turn again, I gave a little surge to pass the two Lapdog team mates and bridged up to the lone cyclist ahead.  As I passed him I was expecting him to jump onto my wheel and have a go but there was no reaction.  Too early for myself to be out on my own so I rode along and waited for the pack to pull me back.
For the most part, the race unfolded as I had expected.  There were good accelerations here and there, bumps and rubs, some (a lot of) cursing and a decent speed.  There were two primes announced during the race.  A prime is generally a cash prize for the first person across the line of the next lap.  I was prepared to have a go on the first one but was out of position.  On the second… for $30 I decided I would chance it at the end.

With two laps to go I began positioning myself for the sprint.  Knowing with a cross-wind from the right in the finishing stretch, I wanted to be on the inside (left of the pack).  A difficult proposition considering the chicane we had to negotiate in the last 600 meters.  Fortunately on the last lap, there was ample space on the inside and there was little concern and I began my sprint sheltered nicely on my right.  I shake my head when I think what happens next.  As I get my cadence up for the sprint, I go to shift down into a bigger gear to begin the sprint only to mistakenly shift up.  Now spinning out I scramble to correct only to see two others slowly make their way ahead of me.  With the correction now made I get out of the saddle to take 4th in the bunch sprint.  With the mistake and my current state of health, I am still thrilled with the result!  Following the race I meet up with my father who shows me a video of the final.  Two cyclists crossed the finish 8 and 5 seconds ahead of the bunch!  Honestly I had no idea there were two off the front.  So end result was 6th place in the combined Senior 4/Master 3 and 2nd Master 3.  My first podium after 3 races and 19 years away from anything athletic.  Nice!
My progression to date has been going really well, I am very pleased and looking forward to the weeks ahead.

S4/M3 Sprint Finish - I am 4th in the bunch on the right in red

No comments:

Post a Comment