Monday 30 January 2012

Get Lean and Fast

As the new year approached and the tentative cycling racing schedule was released, I began to think of the next phase in my weight lifting and cycling periodization plan. I came to the conclusion that my strength focused phase was one month too long. Although I would have liked to have continued for an additional month as I am beginning to see noticeable improvements, one early season race I want to perform well and be competitive requires me to lose weight and add some power. I have already begun the journey of shedding pounds through diet and after last weeks recovery period, I'll begin a high intensity interval training (HIIT) program with weights and start more structured and focused cycling workouts.

Leaning Phase - Weight Lifting and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

The goal of the Leaning Phase is to decrease the amount of fat weight, increase muscular power while maintaining muscular strength. This will be done by performing exhaustive workouts where the metabolic cost of each exercises and the workout as a whole is increased. To increase the metabolic cost of each exercise, I'll only perform exercises that recruit the most muscles. Full body exercises such as squats and deadlifts for the lower body, upper body pulls will include chin-ups and bent-over rows, and upper body pushes will include dips, bench press and squat press. To increase the metabolic cost of the workout as a whole, rest between exercises will be reduced considerably. Additionally, two forms of HIIT will be performed before and after the weight lifting exercises. The first form of HIIT will target both the upper and lower body parts through a series of 6 circuits, each circuit lasting 45 seconds with a 30 second rest between each series. Each circuit will be a maximum effort and the short recovery ensures the metabolic cost remains high. The second form of HIIT will be sprint intervals (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off) on a treadmill. I won't be including any HIIT cycling intervals as the equipment at the gym is not optimum for this and my cycling intervals will progressively get harder as I'll explain below.

To retain as much muscular strength during this Leaning Phase, each cycle will be proceeded by a one week Loading Phase. In the previous Hypertrophy and Strength Development phases I completed, each cycle ended with a week of unloading. During this time, low to medium weights were used to allow the muscles time to rest and adapt from the previous weeks efforts. During the Loading Phase, super heavy weights will be lifted to maintain and likely gain muscular strength. The volume during the Loading Phase will be reduced and any strength gains will only assist when I return to the Leaning Phase as I'll be able to lift heavier weights. The Loading Phase will coincide with the recovery period in my cycling Preparation Phase described below.


Preparation Phase - Cycling and Intervals at Lactate Threshold

The goal of this phase is to build upon the aerobic base acquired in the proceeding Foundation Phase by gradually introducing workouts to challenge my lacate threshold. There are many ways to determine ones lactate threshold heart rate; for my purpose, I estimate using field tests due to its convenience as it can be completed anywhere at no cost. One of the more notable field test methods from Joe Friel who suggests using a 30 minute time trial effort and record the average heart rate over the last 20 minutes or the average heart rate in a 1 hour race. I however prefer to use Chris Charmichael's method of two 8 minute time trial efforts and recording the highest average heart rate from the two efforts as described in his books The Time Crunched Cyclist and Ultimate Ride. The reason I prefer the later is that the second effort is generally better, more realistic than the first, can be easily completed on a single flat stretch of road and due to its relative shortness, allows you to give a 100% on both efforts. Too many variables get in the way in the first effort such as nerves and excitement resulting in starting off too fast or too slow. The length of the former field test method allows your mind to drift resulting in either a lack of concentration or the instilment of doubt. Additionally, I believe you will hold back in fear of not having the stamina to complete the test. With experience, this becomes less of an issue.

With my lactate threshold heart rate determined, I am able to set my heart rate training intensity zones and construct my training plan to prepare for key races in the year. My training plan up until the end of spring will consist of four one month mesocycles. Similar to other periodization strategies I have followed to date, each mesocycle will contain four one week microcycles, one of which will be reserved for recovery and adaptation. I find the three weeks on, one week off strategy works for me from a recovery perspective. Mesocycles one and three will include workouts below lactate threshold to lactate threshold where as mesocycles two and four will include workouts at lactate threshold to VO2max.

My challenge is the amount of time I am willing to set aside for cycling training. As I've mentioned in my blog before, all my training is done in the early hours usually before anyone is awake. Until the days the sun rises at 6am, most of my rides will therefore be indoors. Because of this, I found following a structured approach described by Chris Charmichael in his book The Time Crunched Cyclist works for my schedule, therefore I will continue to use and adapt his principals to my training. As there are specific attributes in each race I am targeting, I will be making adjustments in each mesocycle to prepare myself in the best way that I can. In the end, I hope it works out.  In the come months, I'll provide some riveting tales on my progress!

1 comment: