Sunday 8 January 2012

Lean Phase

With the new year upon us and the cycling racing season to begin in three months time, I am beginning to readjust my diet to shed unwanted fat stores that I have yet to shake off. My body fat percentage has remained relatively constant for the last nine months while my weight increased by approximately six pounds. The additional weight I trust/hope is muscle mass and likely some water retention due to the work in the gym. For the last four months, my diet was approximately 45% protein, 30% carbohydrate and 25% fat to promote muscle hypertophy. To accelerate fat loss, I will switch my ratios up considerably where 17% will come from carbohydrate, 27% from protein and 56% from fat. As the volume of my cycling workouts will remain low and the intensity will increase over time, I do not anticipate any issues. As this is uncharted territory for me, I will have to remain viligant to the way I feel both on and off the bike and make adjustments to my diet as necessary.

For this phase I will follow a Paleo diet, moderate amounts of meat & fish proteins, an abundance of vegtables and fruits, healthy fats such as Olive Oil, Avacado, nuts and seeds but will refrain from any grains.

No comments:

Post a Comment